Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 81: School

The view from my seat in class.
I complain about school, a lot sometimes, and it is tiring.  Sometimes the amount of homework (coupled with my job, housework, and having a life) feels like it's too much to bear.  But when I really think about it, school is such a blessing.  Besides the obvious reasons: being able to afford it, obtaining a 4-year degree in this job market, etc., there is a more personal reason for me.  When I worked for Delta College Corporate Services, I was just kinda skating along, not sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, which was fine because I was only 19 when I started working there.  I had my whole life ahead of me.  Towards the end of that job, I was working there until I moved to Texas where my life would finally begin.  I moved down there and never really found a job worth keeping.  Not to say that those jobs (the swim place, the DNA place, and the school district) weren't good, they just weren't careers for me.  Which, in the end, turned out to be fine, since I moved back to Michigan.  Once in Michigan, it was my goal to get a job, any job, so that I could pay my bills.  Once I had an income again, I could start looking for a job I actually liked.  I don't know what this dream job would entail, I only know that I haven't found it yet.  Anyway, being in school gives me a goal to work towards.  Without it, I'd just being going through the motions—a zombie from 8-5, Monday through Friday.  So, while I can't wait to graduate and be done with school, it's also a little scary.  What will I do when I'm not going to school?

1 comment: